Do I trust God?

And without faith, it is impossible to please Him, for the One who comes to God must believe that He exists and that He proves to be One who rewards those who seek Him. - Hebrews 11:6 (NASB)


Do I trust the Sovereign God of all creation when His plan is different from my plan or when I cannot understand how it could ever work out for my good and His glory?

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. - Isaiah 55:8-9 (ESV)

For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. - Jeremiah 29:11 (Living Bible)


Do I know God well enough through the study of His Word to understand and accept that His plan is always best?

Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. - Jeremiah 29:12-13 (ESV)

With terrible clarity, I realized that I, along with everyone else, was out of the Garden of Eden and had no way back in. I cried out to the Lord, "I cannot endure what I know to be true. Life is painful. I am selfish. Everything is intolerable. Nothing satisfies. Nothing brings relief. Nothing good is certain. There is no rest. Sorrow outweighs joy. I cannot go on without knowing you better." I felt good for perhaps a minute. And then, with the impact of a battering ram, the realization hit me: "I am preoccupied with myself! I'm not even close to touching God. He's not on my mind. I am!" I cried out: "God, I don't know how to come to you. I need to know you, to sense your presence, to feel your love more than anything else. But I don't know what to do. Every path I follow leads back to me. I must find the way to you! I know you're all I have. But I don't know you well enough for you to be all I need. Please let me find you." - Larry Crabb, Finding God.


Am I sensitive and responsive to the Holy Spirit's promptings and correction in my life?

Show me the path where I should go, O Lord; point out the right road for me to walk. Lead me; teach me; for you are the God who gives me salvation. I have no hope except in you. The Lord is good and glad to teach the proper path to all who go astray; he will teach the ways that are right and best to those who humbly turn to him. And when we obey him, every path he guides us on is fragrant with his loving-kindness and his truth. - Psalm 25:4-5, 8-10 (Living Bible)

And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? - Hebrews 12:5-7 (ESV)


When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still
And with all who will trust and obey

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies
But His smile quickly drives it away
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear
Can abide while we trust and obey

But we never can prove the delights of his love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor he shows, for the joy he bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.
 

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet
Or we'll walk by His side in the way
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go
Never fear, only trust and obey

Trust and obey, for there's no other way.
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey -John Sammis. 


Be Encouraged to trust and obey God's will, God's way, and in God's timing. 

-Jeffrey Thornton 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2