Is my faith genuine? - Part 2

 "Blessed [spiritually prosperous, happy, to be admired] are the poor in spirit [those devoid of spiritual arrogance, those who regard themselves as insignificant], for theirs is the kingdom of heaven [both now and forever].

"Blessed [forgiven, refreshed by God's grace] are those who mourn [over their sins and repent], for they will be comforted [when the burden of sin is lifted].

"Blessed [inwardly peaceful, spiritually secure, worthy of respect] are the gentle [the kind-hearted, the sweet-spirited, the self-controlled], for they will inherit the earth.

"Blessed [joyful, nourished by God's goodness] are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness [those who actively seek right standing with God], for they will be [completely] satisfied.

"Blessed [content, sheltered by God's promises] are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

"Blessed [anticipating God's presence, spiritually mature] are the pure in heart [those with integrity, moral courage, and godly character], for they will see God.

"Blessed [spiritually calm with life-joy in God's favor] are the makers and maintainers of peace, for they will [express His character and] be called the sons of God.

"Blessed [comforted by inner peace and God's love] are those who are persecuted for doing that which is morally right, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven [both now and forever].

"Blessed [morally courageous and spiritually alive with life-joy in God's goodness] are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil things against you because of [your association with] Me.

Be glad and exceedingly joyful, for your reward in heaven is great [absolutely inexhaustible]; for in this same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. - Matthew 5:3-12 (Amplified Bible)

The word "Blessed" means happy, fortunate, blissful. It speaks of more than a surface emotion. Jesus was describing the divinely-bestowed well-being that belongs only to the faithful. The Beatitudes demonstrate that the way to heavenly blessedness is antithetical to the worldly path normally followed in pursuit of happiness. The worldly idea is that happiness is found in riches, merriment, abundance, leisure, and such things. The real truth is the very opposite. The Beatitudes give Jesus' description of the character of true faith. - John MacArthur

Blessed are the poor in spirit.

But the tax collector, standing at a distance, would not even raise his eyes toward heaven, but was striking his chest [in humility and repentance], saying, 'God, be merciful and gracious to me, the [especially wicked] sinner [that I am]!' I tell you, this man went to his home justified [forgiven of the guilt of sin and placed in right standing with God] rather than the other man; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself [forsaking self-righteous pride] will be exalted." - Luke 18:13-14 (Amplified Bible)

Do I recognize my utter spiritual bankruptcy apart from God?

Blessed are those who mourn.

For [godly] sorrow that is in accord with the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation; but worldly sorrow [the hopeless sorrow of those who do not believe] produces death. - 2 Corinthians 7:10 (Amplified Bible)

Do I experience godly sorrow over my sin leading to repentance?

Blessed are the gentle.

But the humble will [at last] inherit the land and will delight themselves in abundant prosperity and peace. - Psalm 37:11 (Amplified Bible)

Do I exhibit supreme self-control powered by the Holy Spirit in my daily conduct?

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.

For not knowing about God's righteousness [which is based on faith], and seeking to establish their own [righteousness based on works], they did not submit to God's righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law [it leads to Him and its purpose is fulfilled in Him], for [granting] righteousness to everyone who believes [in Him as Savior]. - Romans 10:3-4 (Amplified Bible)

Am I seeking God's righteousness or my own?

Dearth Heavenly Father,
As I bow before you today, help me to see myself as You see me. Sensitize my heart to the Holy Spirit as He convicts me of sin in my life. Instill in me the genuine humility to confess my sin with a godly sorrow that leads to repentance and results in turning away from sin. Search my heart. Know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me. Lead me in the path of righteousness as I yield fully to Your will, Your way. Amen

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all. - Judson Van De Venter

Be Encouraged to live the character of true faith.

- Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2