What is God's Providence? - Part 2

Are you greater than our Father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"" Jesus answered, ""If I want glory for myself, it doesn't count. But it is my Father who will glorify me. You say, ''He is our God,'' but you don't even know him. I know him. If I said otherwise, I would be as great a liar as you! But I do know him and obey him. Your Father Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad."" The people said, ""You aren't even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?"" Jesus answered, ""I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I AM!"" - John 8:53-58 (NLT)

Yet, for my own sake and for the honor of my name, I will hold back my anger and not wipe you out. I have refined you, but not as silver is refined. Rather, I have refined you in the furnace of suffering. I will rescue you for my sake—yes, for my own sake! I will not let my reputation be tarnished, and I will not share my glory with idols! - Isaiah 48:9-11(NLT)

I am tempted to say that modern people find it almost impossible to receive with thankfulness and joy the relentless witness of the Bible that God consistently acts for the sake of his own glory. But, upon further reflection, I realize that this resistance is not unique to modern people. It is human. And it is complex. - John Piper, Providence

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; - 1 Corinthians 13:3-6 (NKJV)

So the deepest problem we have in dealing with God's self-exaltation is not that we don't like some kind of self-exalting authority but that fallen human nature does not like any kind of divine authority over our lives. The idea that God is unattractive to us because he acts for his own glory cloaks a deeper resistance: he is unattractive because he is God. - John Piper, Providence

Following after the Holy Spirit leads to life and peace, but following after the old nature leads to death because the old sinful nature within us is against God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will. That's why those who are still under the control of their old sinful selves, bent on following their old evil desires, can never please God. - Romans 8:6-8 (Living Bible)

Thus, we see that the great and last end of God's works, which is so variously expressed in Scripture, is indeed but one; and this one end is most properly and comprehensively called "the glory of God," by which name it is most commonly called in Scripture. - Jonathan Edwards, Dissertation Concerning the End for Which God Created the World

Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. - Philippians 2:9-11 (NLT)

To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. - 1 Timothy 1:17 (ESV)

Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
in light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
almighty, victorious, thy great name we praise.

Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light,
nor wanting, nor wasting, thou rulest in might;
thy justice like mountains high soaring above
thy clouds, which are fountains of goodness and love.

To all life thou givest, to both great and small;
in all life thou livest, the true life of all;
we blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,
and wither and perish but naught changeth thee.

Great Father of glory, pure Father of light,
thine angels adore thee, all veiling their sight;
all praise we would render, O help us to see
'testis only the splendor of light hideth thee. - Walter C. Smith

Be Encouraged to worship the immortal, invisible, God only wise, with awe and reverence.

-Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2