Is God listening to my prayers?

In those days [when Sennacherib first invaded Judah], Hezekiah became deathly ill. The prophet Isaiah, the Son of Amoz, came and said to him, “Thus says the Lord, ‘Set your house in order, for you shall die and not recover.’” Then Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, saying, “Please, O Lord, remember now [with compassion] how I have walked before You in faithfulness and truth and with a whole heart [entirely devoted to You], and have done what is good in Your sight.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly. Before Isaiah had gone out of the middle courtyard, the word of the Lord came to him, saying, “Go back and tell Hezekiah the leader of My people, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of David your Father (ancestor): “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears. Behold, I am healing you; on the third day, you shall go up to the house of the Lord. I will add fifteen years to your life and save you and this city [Jerusalem] from the hand of the king of Assyria, and I will protect this city for My own sake and for My servant David’s sake.”’” Then Isaiah said, “Bring a cake of figs. And they brought it and placed it on the [painful] inflammation, and he recovered.” - 2 Kings 20:1-7 (Amplified Bible)

When the Bible says God “changes His mind,” it is speaking of God in human terms. (The technical term is anthropomorphism.) Of course, God knows all along what He will or will not do, and He never changes His mind because He never gets new information that He has to consider. However, as He interacts with people, He interacts in real-time. God does not interact with us today on the basis of the sin that we may commit next month. Today, if we are walking in obedience and fellowship with Him, God chooses not to act on what He knows is coming. Likewise, if we are living in sinfulness today, but He knows we are going to repent next year, God does not treat us as He will next year. He deals with us now in the situation we are in.

Does God listen to these prayers?

A young couple is living together in sexual sin, yet they pray for God’s blessing on their home.

A man is dissatisfied with his three-year-old Toyota, so he prays for a brand-new Mercedes.

We pray fervently for a new job, but God’s plan requires that we stay where we are and be a witness to our coworkers.

We ask God to supply a financial need but continue to worry and make faithless comments to our families and coworkers, such as “I’m probably going to go to the poorhouse. I’ll never get that money.”

Have I been walking with God in faithfulness and truth entirely devoted to Him?

He who turns his ear away from listening to the law [of God and man], Even his prayer is repulsive [to God]. - Proverbs 28:9 (Amplified Bible)

Is my heart in alignment with my words and my actions?

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. - Psalm 19:14 (NLT)

Is the desire of my heart to be in alignment with the will of God and that He be glorified?

And I will do whatever you ask in My name [as My representative], this I will do, so that the Father may be glorified and celebrated in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name [as My representative], I will do it. “If you [really] love Me, you will keep and obey My commandments. - John 14:13-15 (Amplified Bible)

The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul.
The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
The commandments of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are clear, giving insight for living.
Reverence for the Lord is pure, lasting forever.
The laws of the Lord are true; each one is fair.
They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold.
They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb.
They are a warning to your servant, a great reward for those who obey them.
How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?
Cleanse me from these hidden faults.
Keep your servant from deliberate sins!
Don’t let them control me.
Then, I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin.
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. - Psalm 19:7-14 (NLT)

Be Encouraged to align your words, actions, and heart to His will.

-Jeffrey Thornton 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2