Am I a living sacrifice?

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies [dedicating all of yourselves, set apart] as a living sacrifice, holy and well-pleasing to God, which is your rational (logical, intelligent) act of worship. And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].- Romans 12:1-2 (Amplified Bible)

What are the mercies of God?

Divine Love, Grace, Holy Spirit, Peace, Faith, Comfort, Power, Hope, Patience, Kindness, Glory, Honor, Righteousness, Forgiveness, Justification, Reconciliation, Security, Resurrection, Sonship, Freedom, Intercession, Eternal Life

Take a few minutes to reread the list, pausing after each mercy to consider the ultimate sacrifice and infinite unconditional love required to justify a condemned sinner in the eyes of a Holy God, and what my logical and intelligent act of worship should be in response.

You contribute nothing to your salvation except the sin that made it necessary. - Jonathan Edwards 

But now, what can I offer Jehovah for all he has done for me? O Lord, you have freed me from my bonds, and I will serve you forever. - Psalm 116:12,16 (Living Bible)

What are the elements of a Living Sacrifice?

1. Soul

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? Matthew 16:26 (NLT)

Not only [did they give materially] as we had hoped, but first, they gave themselves to the Lord and to us [as His representatives] by the will of God [disregarding their personal interests and giving as much as they possibly could].- 2 Corinthians 8:5 (Amplified Bible)

Have I given myself fully to God in complete submission to His will?

2. Body

Do not go on offering members of your body to sin as instruments of wickedness. But offer yourselves to God [in a decisive act] as those alive [raised] from the dead [to a new life], and your members [all of your abilities—sanctified, set apart] as instruments of righteousness [yielded] to God. I am speaking in [familiar] human terms because of your natural limitations [your spiritual immaturity]. For just as you presented your bodily members as slaves to impurity and to [moral] lawlessness, leading to further lawlessness, so now offer your members [your abilities, your talents] as slaves to righteousness, leading to sanctification [that is, being set apart for God’s purpose]. - Romans 6:13,19 (Amplified Bible)

Am I a slave to righteousness in ALL that I do?

3. Mind

But the spiritual man [the spiritually mature Christian] judges all things [questions, examines and applies what the Holy Spirit reveals], yet is himself judged by no one [the unbeliever cannot judge and understand the believer’s spiritual nature]. For who has known the mind and purposes of the Lord, so as to instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ [to be guided by His thoughts and purposes].
- 1 Corinthians 2:15-16 (Amplified Bible)

Am I saturating my mind with the Word of God and executing my life with the mind of Christ?

4. Will

Let Christ himself be your example as to what your attitude should be. For he, who had always been God by nature, did not cling to his prerogatives as God’s equal but stripped himself of all privilege by consenting to be a slave by nature and being born as a mortal man. And, having become man, he humbled himself by living a life of utter obedience, even to the extent of dying, and the death he died was the death of a common criminal. That is why God has now lifted him so high and has given him the name beyond all names, so that in the name of Jesus, “every knee shall bow”, whether in Heaven or earth or under the earth. And that is why, in the end, “every tongue shall confess” that Jesus Christ” is the Lord, to the glory of God the Father. - Philippians 2:5-11 (Phillips)

Have I consented to be a slave of Jesus Christ?

It is our duty and our privilege to exhaust our lives for Jesus. We are not to be living specimens of men in fine preservation but living sacrifices whose lot is to be consumed. - Charles Spurgeon

Take my life and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to thee.
Take my moments and my days;
let them flow in endless praise.

Take my hands and let them move
at the impulse of thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
swift and beautiful for thee.

Take my voice and let me sing
always, only, for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
filled with messages from thee.

Take my silver and my gold;
not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
every power as thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it thine;
it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart it is thine own;
it shall be thy royal throne.

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
at thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be
ever, only, all for thee. - Frances Havergal

Be Encouraged to be a living sacrifice for your Savior.

-Jeffrey Thornton 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2