What are the benefits of abiding in Christ?

Remain in Me, and I [will remain] in you. Just as no branch can bear fruit by itself without remaining in the Vine, neither can you [bear fruit, producing evidence of your faith] unless you remain in Me. I am the Vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him bears much fruit, for [otherwise] apart from Me [that is, cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing. If you remain in Me and My words remain in you [that is, if we are vitally united and My message lives in your heart], ask whatever you wish and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified and honored by this when you bear much fruit and prove yourselves to be My [true] disciples. I have loved you just as the Father has loved Me; remain in My love [and do not doubt My love for you]. If you keep My commandments and obey My teaching, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love. I have told you these things so that My joy delight may be in you and that your joy may be made full complete overflowing. - John 15:4,5,7-11 (Amplified Bible)

What does it mean to be a true Christian? Christ lives in me.

Yet, even though Christ lives within you, your body will die because of sin; but your Spirit will live, for Christ has pardoned it. And if the Spirit of God, who raised up Jesus from the dead, lives in you, he will make your dying bodies live again after you die by means of this same Holy Spirit living within you. - Romans 8:10-11 (Living Bible)

1. Eternal Salvation

For God so [greatly] loved and dearly prized the world, that He [even] gave His [One and] only begotten Son, so that whoever believes and trusts in Him [as Savior] shall not perish, but have eternal life. - John 3:16 (Amplified Bible)

Whoever confesses and acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he is in God. We have come to know [by personal observation and experience], and have believed [with deep, consistent faith] the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides continually in him. In this [union and fellowship with Him], love is completed and perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment [with assurance and boldness to face Him]; because as He is, so are we in this world. -1 John 4:15-17

Have I personally acknowledged that Jesus is the Son of God and fully yielded my life to Him?

2. Fruitfulness/Righteousness/Sanctification

By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. - John 15:8 (ESV)

But whenever anyone turns to the Lord from his sins, then the veil is taken away. The Lord is the Spirit who gives them life, and where he is there is freedom from trying to be saved by keeping the laws of God. But we Christians have no veil over our faces; we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the glory of the Lord. And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him. - 2 Corinthians 3:16-18 (Living Bible)

Do I exemplify the righteousness of God in my character, communication, and conduct?

3. Answered Prayer

The heartfelt and persistent Prayer of a righteous man (believer) can accomplish much [when put into action and made effective by God—it is dynamic and can have tremendous power]. - James 5:16b (Amplified Bible)

And we receive from Him whatever we ask because we [carefully and consistently] keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight [habitually seeking to follow His plan for us]. 1 John 3:22 (Amplified Bible)

Are my prayers in alignment with God's person, purpose, and plan?

4. Assurance

By which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:4-8 (ESV)

Am I increasing in Christ-likeness?

5. Love

But you, beloved, build yourselves up on [the foundation of] your most holy faith [continually progress, rise like an edifice higher and higher], pray in the Holy Spirit, and keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously and looking forward to the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ [which will bring you] to eternal life. - Jude 20-21 (Amplified Bible)

This imperative to "keep yourselves in the love of God" establishes the believer's responsibility to be obedient and faithful by living out His salvation, while God works out His will. It means to remain in the place of obedience where God's love is poured out on His children, as opposed to being disobedient and incurring His chastening. This refers to the perseverance of the saints, the counterbalance to God's sovereign preservation of believers in Christ. This is accomplished by 1) building one's self up in the Word of God; 2) praying in the Holy Spirit; 3) looking for the finalization of eternal life with Christ's return. - John MacArthur

Am I studying the Word, praying in the Spirit and eagerly awaiting Christ's return?

6. Joy

These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15:11 (ESV)

But now I am coming to You; and I say these things [while I am still] in the world so that they may experience My joy made full and complete and perfect within them [filling their hearts with My delight]. Sanctify them in the truth [set them apart for Your purposes, make them holy]; Your word is truth. Just as You commissioned and sent Me into the world, I also have commissioned and sent them (believers) into the world. For their sake I sanctify Myself [to do Your will], so that they also may be sanctified [set apart, dedicated, made holy] in [Your] truth. - John 17:13,17-19 (Amplified Bible)

Just as Jesus maintained that His obedience to the Father was the basis of His joy, so also the believers who are obedient to His commandments will experience the same joy. - John MacArthur

Do I exhibit the joy of the Lord every day?

There is joy in serving Jesus,
As I journey on my way,
Joy that fills the heart with praises,
Ev'ry hour and ev'ry day.

There is joy in serving Jesus,
Joy that triumphs over pain,
Fills my soul with heaven's music,
Till I join the glad refrain.

There is joy in serving Jesus,
As I walk alone with God.
'Tis the joy of Christ, my Savior,
Who the path of suffering trod.

There is joy in serving Jesus,
Joy amid the darkest night.
For I've learned the wondrous secret,
And I'm walking in the light.

There is joy, joy,
Joy in serving Jesus,
Joy that throbs within my heart;
Ev'ry moment, ev'ry hour,
As I draw upon His power,
There is joy, joy,
Joy that never shall depart. - Oswald Smith

Be Encouraged to abide in Christ!

-Jeffrey Thornton 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2