Am I interceding for others?

Then the Lord said, "I have seen what a stubborn, rebellious lot these people are. Now leave me alone, and my anger shall blaze out against them and destroy them all, and I will make you, Moses, into a great nation instead of them." But Moses begged God not to do it. "Lord," he pleaded, "why is your anger so hot against your own people whom you brought from the land of Egypt with such great power and mighty miracles? Remember your promise to your servants—to Abraham, Isaac, and Israel. For you swore by your own self, 'I will multiply your posterity as the stars of heaven, and I will give them all of this land I have promised to your descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.'" So the Lord changed his mind and spared them. - Exodus 32:9-11,13,14 (Living Bible)

To intercede means "to plead with somebody on behalf of another person." In the Christian vocabulary, it means to plead with God on behalf of His children who have needs. We are never more like the Lord Jesus Christ than when we are interceding for others because that's what He's doing in heaven today. - Warren Wiersbe, The Integrity Crisis

Jesus holds His priesthood permanently and without change because He lives on forever. Therefore He is able also to save forever (completely, perfectly, for eternity) those who come to God through Him since He always lives to intercede and intervene on their behalf [with God]. - Hebrews 7:24-25 (Amplified Bible)

We need an intercessor who will spend time alone with God, listening to His Word and beholding His glory, just as Moses did. An intercessor can't be in a hurry; the place of intercession isn't a fast-food shop. The church today sings, "Take time to be holy," but how many of us really practice what we sing? Instead of taking time to be holy, we use daily devotional guides that require us to spend only a few minutes each day in "spiritual exercise." We read a Bible verse and some digested "spiritual thoughts," and perhaps a poem and a prayer, and then go on our way rejoicing because we have spent time with the Lord. I used to think this kind of devotional life was better than none at all, but I've changed my mind. Anything that is a substitute for God's Word is bound to be harmful to spiritual growth. I'm not suggesting that using devotional guides is wrong; I have a large collection of them in my library, and I use them. I've even written a few myself. But devotional guides must be supplements to God's Word, not substitutes for God's Word. I reach for a devotional book after I've spent time in the Word and prayer, in personal fellowship with the Lord. - Warren Wiersbe, The Integrity Crisis

Am I prioritizing my time with God, the study of His Word, and intercessory prayer, or giving Him whatever time I can squeeze into MY schedule?

I have so much to do, that I must spend several hours in prayer before I am able to do it. - John Wesley

So ever since we first heard about you, we have kept on praying and asking God to help you understand what he wants you to do; asking him to make you wise about spiritual things; and asking that the way you live will always please the Lord and honor him, so that you will always be doing good, kind things for others, while all the time you are learning to know God better and better. We are praying, too, that you will be filled with his mighty, glorious strength so that you can keep going no matter what happens—always full of the joy of the Lord and always thankful to the Father who has made us fit to share all the wonderful things that belong to those who live in the Kingdom of light. - Colossians 1:9-12 (Living Bible)

Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.
Make friends of God's children, help those who are weak,
Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy; the world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus, like Him, thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy; let Him be thy Guide;
And run not before Him, whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,
And, looking to Jesus, still, trust in His Word.

Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,
Each thought and each motive is beneath His control.
Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above. - William Longstaff

Be Encouraged to prioritize the time necessary to be an intercessor.

-Jeffrey Thornton



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2