Am I living an uncompromising life? - Part 4

Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness! Why should the nations say, “Where is their God?” Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases. Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths but do not speak; eyes but do not see. They have ears but do not hear; noses but do not smell. They have hands but do not feel feet but do not walk, and they do not make a sound in their throat. Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them. - Psalm 115:1-8 (ESV)

“You may worship no other god than me.“ You shall not make yourselves any idols: no images of animals, birds, or fish. You must never bow or worship it in any way; for I, the Lord your God, am very possessive. I will not share your affection with any other god! “And when I punish people for their sins, the punishment continues upon the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of those who hate me; but I lavish my love upon thousands of those who love me and obey my commandments. - Exodus 20:3-6 (Living Bible)

Is it obvious to those around me that God (His Word, His will, His way, His timing) is the most important thing in my life?

Some argue that our sophisticated society today, with its Judeo-Christian foundations, could harbor no idols. But recall that while idolatry is external in many societies, in others, it is primarily internal. Millions in our world who would never think of bowing to a stone idol spend their lives worshiping some useless god established in their own minds. - John MacArthur, An Uncompromising Life 

An idol is anything you value before God.

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will vanish with a [mighty and thunderous] roar, and the [material] elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and the works that are on it will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be [in the meantime] in holy behavior [that is, in a pattern of daily life that sets you apart as a believer] and in godliness [displaying profound reverence toward our awesome God], [while you earnestly] look for and await the coming of the day of God. - 2 Peter 3:10-12a (Amplified Bible)

Do I spend more time and energy on acquiring things and preserving my standard of living than on knowing God?

Are the goals I am pursuing for my life mine or God’s?

Am I worshiping the right God in the right way?

O God, my God! How I search for you! How I thirst for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water. How I long to find you! How I wish I could go into your sanctuary to see your strength and glory, for your love and kindness are better to me than life itself. How I praise you! I will bless you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. At last, I shall be fully satisfied; I will praise you with great joy. I lie awake at night thinking of you—of how much you have helped me—and how I rejoice through the night beneath the protecting shadow of your wings. - Psalm 63:1-7 (Living Bible)

Be Encouraged to make knowing God your priority in life. 

-Jeffrey Thornton 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2