Why is there suffering in this life? - Part 2

So tremendous, however, were the revelations that God gave me that, in order to prevent my becoming absurdly conceited, I was given a physical handicap—one of Satan's angels—to harass me and effectually stop any conceit. Three times I begged the Lord for it to leave me, but his reply has been, "My grace is enough for you: for where there is weakness, my power is shown the more completely." Therefore, I have cheerfully made up my mind to be proud of my weaknesses because they mean a deeper experience of the power of Christ. I can even enjoy weaknesses, suffering, privations, persecutions, and difficulties, for Christ's sake. For my very weakness makes me strong in him. - 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (Phillips)


Why would a person who had fully committed to building Christ's church during his time on this earth have to experience this type of suffering?

How does my response to suffering compare to Paul's?


And going a little farther, he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again. - Matthew 26:39,44 (ESV)

Why would the sinless Son of God be subject to horrendous pain and suffering and the most gruesome form of death on the cross during His time on this earth?

To provide the ultimate example of obedience to the will of God and provide the only acceptable sacrifice for sin.

What is God teaching me through suffering?

Humility - conforming my will to His will

Before every man, there lies a wide and pleasant road that seems right but ends in death. - Proverbs 14:12 (Living Bible)

Contentment - changing my timing to His timing.

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! - Isaiah 26:3 (NLT)

Obedience - correcting my way to His way

As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. - Psalm 18:30 (NKJV)

Diamonds are formed from carbon molecules in the form of carbon dioxide under temperatures of 2200F and pressures of 725,000 psi over 100 miles below the earth's surface. Interestingly, however, the newly formed diamond must travel quickly to the earth's surface to cool rapidly, a matter of hours, or it will become graphite, a not-so-valuable item.
The same sovereign Creator of the universe who can take what you exhale every day and transform it under intense heat and pressure over a very specific period of time into a desirable diamond of great value utilizes suffering and trials in this life to transform you into Christ-likeness. Rest assured the one who knows you intimately and loves you infinitely also controls the precise trial and duration to conform you to the likeness of His Son.

What suffering are you experiencing in your life today...physical, mental, financial, marital, emotional, or relational?

Nothing touches the transformed follower of Christ that is not allowed by God for their good and His glory.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. - Jeremiah 29:11-13 (ESV)

During periods of suffering or trials, our default response is typically Why me?... Why this?... Why now?...or in other words, "I don't deserve this." Realizing that the purpose of trials is not to punish, but to refine, allows us to formulate a better question. By moving from "Why" to "What," we are able to move past a potential pity party, the most expensive party you will ever have, and focus on the refinement process, or What do I need to learn, change, etc. from this? This question provides a great segue to seek God's guidance through prayer and allows you to control what you can control, namely pursuing God's will and increasing in Christ-likeness.

Dear friends, don't be bewildered or surprised when you go through the fiery trials ahead, for this is no strange, unusual thing that is going to happen to you. Instead, be really glad—because these trials will make you partners with Christ in his suffering, and afterward you will have the wonderful joy of sharing his glory in that coming day when it will be displayed. So if you are suffering according to God's will, keep on doing what is right and trust yourself to the God who made you, for he will never fail you. - 1 Peter 4:12-13,19 (Living Bible)

Living for Jesus, a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

Living for Jesus, Who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv'ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.

Living for Jesus, wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy Name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.

Living for Jesus through earth's little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones, He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.

O Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy atonement, didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master, my heart shall be Thy throne;
My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone. - Thomas Chisholm
 

Be Encouraged to change Why to What when responding to trials. -Jeffrey Thornton



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2