What is Sanctification?

Let me add this, dear brothers: You already know how to please God in your daily living, for you know the commands we gave you from the Lord Jesus himself. Now we beg you—yes, we demand of you in the name of the Lord Jesus—that you live more and more closely to that ideal. For God wants you to be holy and pure. - 1 Thessalonians 4:1-3a (Living Bible)

I asked her what was so scary about unmerited free grace. She replied something like this: If I was saved by my good works -- then there would be a limit to what God could ask of me or put me through. I would be like a taxpayer with rights. I would have done my duty, and now I would deserve a certain quality of life. But if it is really true that I am a sinner saved by sheer grace -- at God's infinite cost -- then there's nothing he cannot ask of me. - Timothy Keller


For this is the will of God, that you be sanctified [separated and set apart from sin]: - v 3a

1. that you abstain and back away from sexual immorality; v 3b

Are my words, thoughts, and actions Christlike?

2. that each of you knows how to control his own body in holiness and honor [being available for God's purpose and separated from things profane], - v 4

Am I participating in activities that are consensual but not God-honoring?

3. not [to be used] in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God and are ignorant of His will; - v 5

Is my daily conduct clearly different from the world?

4. no man shall transgress and defraud his brother because the Lord is the avenger in all these things, just as we have told you before and solemnly warned you. - v 6

Are my actions causing others to sin?

For God has not called us to impurity, but to holiness [to be dedicated, and set apart by behavior that pleases Him, whether in public or in private]. - 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7 (Amplified Bible)

Is it my sincere desire to be separated and set apart from sin?

Sanctify them in the truth [set them apart for Your purposes, make them holy]; Your word is truth. - John 17:17 (Amplified Bible)

Let the word of Christ have its home within you [dwelling in your heart and mind—permeating every aspect of your being] as you teach [spiritual things] and admonish and train one another with all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God. - Colossians 3:16 (Amplified Bible)

Open my ears that I may hear
voices of truth thou sendest clear,
and while the wave notes fall on my ear,
everything false will disappear.
Silently now, I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my ears, illumine me,
Spirit divine! - Clara Scott

Consecrate yourselves, therefore, and be holy, for I am the Lord your God. Keep my statutes and do them; I am the Lord who sanctifies you. - Leviticus 20:7-8 (ESV)

Be Encouraged to immerse yourself in the Word of God and be separated and set apart from sin!

-Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2