How can I know I'm saved - Part 2

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. - John 3:16-18 (NKJV)

I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him [that is, Christ]: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic–on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg–or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse…. You can shut Him up for a fool; you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." –C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity


The apostle John gave all the tests he did to give the true believer a biblical basis for confidence.
Let's review his spiritual inventory:

Do you enjoy fellowship with God and Christ?

Are you sensitive to sin in your life?

Do you obey the Scriptures?

Do you reject this evil world?

Do you love Christ and eagerly await His return?

Do you see a decreasing pattern of sin in your life?

Do you love other Christians?

Do you receive answers to your prayers?

Do you experience the ministry of the Holy Spirit?

Can you discern between spiritual truth and error?

Have you suffered on account of your faith in Christ?
John MacArthur, Saved Without A Doubt: Being Sure of Your Salvation


Our external delights, our ambition and reputation, and our human relationships – for all these things, our desires are eager, our appetites strong, our love warm and affectionate, our zeal ardent. Our hearts are tender and sensitive when it comes to these things, easily moved, deeply impressed, much concerned, and greatly engaged. We are depressed at our losses and excited and joyful about our worldly successes and prosperity. But when it comes to spiritual matters, how dull we feel! How heavy and hard our hearts! We can sit and hear of the infinite height, and depth, and length, and breadth of the love of God in Christ Jesus, of His giving His infinitely dear Son – and yet be cold and unmoved!… If we are going to be emotional about anything, shouldn't it be our spiritual lives? Is anything more inspiring, more exciting, more loveable and desirable in heaven or earth than the gospel of Jesus Christ?… The gospel story is designed to affect us emotionally – and our emotions are designed to be affected by its beauty and glory. It touches our hearts at their tenderest parts, shaking us deeply to the core. We should be utterly humbled that we are not more emotionally affected than we are.
 - Jonathan Edwards


Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidd'st me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
- Charlotte Elliott


This is His commandment that we believe [with personal faith and confident trust] in the name of His Son Jesus Christ and [that we unselfishly] love and seek the best for one another, just as He commanded us. The one who habitually keeps His commandments [obeying His word and following His precepts, abides and] remains in Him and He in him. By this, we know and have the proof that He [really] abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us [as a gift]. - 1 John 3:23-24 (Amplified Bible)


Be Encouraged to know Jesus Christ, the Sovereign Savior of the World.

-Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2