Who am I living for?

It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love to do God's will so far as my new nature is concerned, but there is something else deep within me, in my lower nature, that is at war with my mind and wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. In my mind, I want to be God's willing servant, but instead, I find myself still enslaved to sin. So you see how it is: my new life tells me to do right, but the old nature that is still inside me loves to sin. Oh, what a terrible predicament I'm in! Who will free me from my slavery to this deadly lower nature? Thank God! It has been done by Jesus Christ, our Lord. He has set me free. - Romans 7:21-25 (Living Bible)

Can you relate to the personal struggle Paul is describing here in his letter to the Romans? As transformed followers of Jesus Christ, we want to execute God's will for our lives. We know that living a life that brings honor and glory to God is the primary purpose of our new life in Christ. The challenge is that we would like to do that in a way that will avoid any suffering, pain, adversity, or inconvenience. However, these are the tools that God uses in our lives to transform us into Christlikeness. Whether it is refining gold, making a diamond, or increasing Christlikeness, the process is not easy; it involves intense heat, pressure, and adversity over time to purify and perfect.

Since Christ suffered and underwent pain, you must have the same attitude he did; you must be ready to suffer, too. Remember, when your body suffers, sin loses its power, and you won't be spending the rest of your life chasing after evil desires but will be anxious to do the will of God. - 1 Peter 4:1-2 (Living Bible)

Adversity is a bridge to a deeper relationship with God. - Charles Stanley

"But He knows the way that I take [and He pays attention to it]. When He has tried me, I will come forth as [refined] gold [pure and luminous]. - Job 23:10

Even Jesus struggled with the human desire to avoid pain while on earth.

And after going a little farther, He fell face down and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible [that is, consistent with Your will], let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will." - Matthew 26:39 (Amplified Bible)

He prayed for any other way to accomplish the will of God, to avoid the most horrendous death known to man, but was completely yielded to God's will. Jesus, being fully God and fully man, did not submit to the human desire to avoid pain and fully yielded to God.

Yet it was our grief he bore, our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, for his own sins! But he was wounded and bruised for our sins. He was beaten that we might have peace; he was lashed—and we were healed! We— every one of us—have strayed away like sheep! We, who left God’s paths to follow our own. Yet God laid on him the guilt and sins of every one of us! - Isaiah 53:4-6

In the light of His ultimate sacrifice, how will you live as a transformed follower of Jesus Christ?

Living for Jesus, a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

Living for Jesus Who died in my place,
Bearing on Calvary my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me from answering His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.

Living for Jesus, wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy Name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.

Living for Jesus through earth's little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones, He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.

O Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy atonement, didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master; my heart shall be Thy throne;
My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.
- Thomas Chisholm

Be Encouraged to live for Jesus!

-Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2