What is required to walk with God?

Now Enoch lived sixty-five years, and fathered Methuselah. Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he fathered Methuselah, and he fathered other sons and daughters. So all the days of Enoch were 365 years. Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him. - Genesis 5:21-24 (NASB)

In our society, we regularly recognize people that have been successful in a specific endeavor for 40, 50 or even 60+ years. The perseverance, discipline, and focus it takes to dedicate that many years to a task is unique. With that investment comes a comprehensive knowledge base of technical skill and practical experience that is extremely valuable to those who choose to follow the same path in life. If your desire is to walk with God, there is no better human role model to pattern after than Enoch, a man who walked with God for 300 years and never experienced physical death.
By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; and he was not found because God took him up; for before he was taken up, he was attested to have been pleasing to God. And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for the one who comes to God must believe that He exists, and that He proves to be One who rewards those who seek Him. - Hebrews 11:5-6 (NASB)
The following are four evidences that can be observed in the lives of those who choose to walk with God.Knowledge of the truth
This is His commandment, that we believe [with personal faith and confident trust] in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and [that we unselfishly] love and seek the best for one another, just as He commanded us. The one who habitually keeps His commandments [obeying His word and following His precepts, abides and] remains in Him, and He in him. By this we know and have the proof that He [really] abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us [as a gift]. - 1 John 3:23-24 (Amplified Bible)
Faith
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for the one who comes to God must believe that He exists, and that He proves to be One who rewards those who seek Him. - Hebrews 11:6 (NASB)
Joy
And do not be worried, for the joy of the Lord is your strength and your stronghold.” - Nehemiah 8:10b (Amplified Bible)
Obedience
So then, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation, but not to our flesh [our human nature, our worldliness, our sinful capacity], to live according to the [impulses of the] flesh [our nature without the Holy Spirit]—for if you are living according to the [impulses of the] flesh, you are going to die. But if [you are living] by the [power of the Holy] Spirit you are habitually putting to death the sinful deeds of the body, you will [really] live forever. For all who are allowing themselves to be led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. - Romans 8:12-14 (Amplified Bible)
When others observe how I execute my life each day, do they see authentic evidence of these qualities?All the way my Savior leads me–What have I to ask beside?Can I doubt His tender mercy,Who through life has been my guide?Heavenly peace, divinest comfort,Here by faith in Him to dwell!For I know, whate’er befall me,Jesus doeth all things well;For I know, whate’er befall me,Jesus doeth all things well.All the way my Savior leads me–Cheers each winding path I tread,Gives me grace for every trial,Feeds me with the living bread.Though my weary steps may falterAnd my soul athirst may be,Gushing from the rock before me,Lo! a spring of joy I see;Gushing from the rock before me,Lo! A spring of joy I see.All the way my Savior leads me–Oh, the fullness of His love!Perfect rest to me is promisedIn my Father’s house above.When my spirit, clothed immortal,Wings its flight to realms of day,This my song through endless ages:Jesus led me all the way;This my song through endless ages:Jesus led me all the way. - Fanny CrosbyBe Encouraged to be led by the Spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2