Am I growing in my knowledge of God?

I thank God continually for you, and I never give up praying for you, and this is my prayer. That God, the God of our Lord Jesus Christ and the all-glorious Father, will give you spiritual wisdom and the insight to know more of him: that you may receive that inner illumination of the Spirit which will make you realize how great is the hope to which he is calling you—the magnificence and splendor of the inheritance promised to Christians—and how tremendous is the power available to us who believe in God. - Ephesians 1:16-19 (Phillips)

At the point of salvation, the new believer is enlightened with godly knowledge and insight. Paul's prayer is that they would continue to grow in this knowledge through the consistent study of the Word of God and in doing so, would better realize the hope, inheritance, and power they have in Christ.

1. The hope to which He has called you.

Oh, dear children of mine (forgive the affection of an older man!), have you realized it? Here and now, we are God's children. We don't know what we shall become in the future. We only know that, if reality were to break through, we should reflect his likeness, for we should see him as he really is! Everyone who has at heart a hope like that keeps himself pure, for he knows how pure Christ is. - 1 John 3:2-3 (Phillips)

In the light of the hope I have in Christ, am I keeping myself pure as I execute each day that my Creator and Savior has entrusted to me?

2. The riches of His glorious inheritance.

And because of what Christ did, all you others too, who heard the Good News about how to be saved, and trusted Christ, were marked as belonging to Christ by the Holy Spirit, who long ago had been promised to all of us Christians. His presence within us is God's guarantee that he really will give us all that he promised, and the Spirit's seal upon us means that God has already purchased us and that he guarantees to bring us to himself. This is just one more reason for us to praise our glorious God. - Ephesians 1:13-14 (Living Bible)

Am I praising God for my eternal inheritance in Christ?

3. The immeasurable and unlimited and surpassing greatness of His power.

Now glory is to God, who by his mighty power at work within us is able to do far more than we would ever dare to ask or even dream of—infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes. - Ephesians 3:20 (Living Bible)

Am I growing in my awareness of the unlimited power available to me each day as I study God's Word?

As we grow in our knowledge of God through the consistent study of His Word, we will find ourselves spending less time worrying about the trials and tribulations of this world and more time focused on the unlimited and immeasurable greatness of His power to overcome any adversity we will face in this life.

How can we turn our knowledge about God into the knowledge of God? The rule for doing this is simple but demanding. It is that we turn each Truth that we learn about God into the matter for meditation before God, leading to prayer and praise to God. - J. I. Packer 

Because I am a Christian, therefore, every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God's Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God. And as a Christian, I learn to know the Holy Scriptures in no other way than by hearing the Word preached and by prayerful meditation. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer 

Be Encouraged to grow in your knowledge of God through the daily study of His Word.

-Jeffrey Thornton 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2