Am I pursuing God?

Frankly, I stand amazed at the unfathomable complexity of God's wisdom and God's knowledge. How could man ever understand his reasons for action or explain his methods of working?
For: Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has become His counselor?
Or who has first given to him, and it shall be repaid to him?
For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things.
To him be the glory forever, amen. - Romans 11:33-36 (Phillips)

As we execute through the complexities and unknowns of this life, it is comforting to know that the Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Sovereign, Immutable God of all creation loves us unconditionally, knows us intimately, is in control of all that touches us, and desires to have a personal relationship with us.

O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit or stand. When far away, you know my every thought. You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment you know where I am. You know what I am going to say before I even say it. You both precede and follow me and place your hand of blessing on my head. You made all the delicate inner parts of my body and knitted them together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous—and how well I know it. You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion! You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your book! - Psalm 139:1-5,13-16 (Living Bible)

With terrible clarity, I realized that I, along with everyone else, was out of the Garden of Eden and had no way back in. I cried out to the Lord, "I cannot endure what I know to be true. Life is painful. I am selfish. Everything is intolerable. Nothing satisfies. Nothing brings relief. Nothing good is certain. There is no rest. Sorrow outweighs joy. I cannot go on without knowing you better." I felt good for perhaps a minute. And then, with the impact of a battering ram, the realization hit me: "I am preoccupied with me! I'm not even close to touching God. He's not on my mind. I am!" I cried out: "God, I don't know how to come to you. I need to know you, to sense your presence, to feel your love, more than anything else. But I don't know what to do. Every path I follow leads back to me. I must find the way to you! I know you're all I have. But I don't know you well enough for you to be all I need. Please let me find you." - Larry Crabb, Finding God.

Am I pursuing God with the same intensity I would pursue a lost child?

And without faith, it is impossible to please Him, for the One who comes to God must believe that He exists and that He proves to be One who rewards those who seek Him. - Hebrews 11:6 (NASB)

And you will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. - Jeremiah 29:13 (NASB)

Be Encouraged to pursue God with all your heart. 

-Jeff Thornton 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2