Am I increasing in Christlikeness?

But we Christians have no veil over our faces; we can be mirrors that brightly reflect the glory of the Lord. And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him. - 2 Corinthians 3:18 (Living Bible)

As they gaze at the glory of the Lord, believers are continually being transformed into Christlikeness. The ultimate goal of the believer is to be like Christ, and by continually focusing on Him, the Spirit transforms the believer more and more into His image. - John MacArthur

In this life, if we want to mimic a person's success in a specific endeavor, we study and apply the process, discipline, and habits that person developed to achieve that success. In pursuing Christlikeness, our ultimate goal in this life, we must continually focus on Christ and spend time in His Word to grow in our knowledge of His character and His will.

But about the Son [the Father says to Him], "You have loved righteousness [integrity, virtue, uprightness in purpose] and have hated lawlessness [injustice, sin]." - Hebrews 1:8a, 9a (Amplified Bible)

Do I love righteousness? Is it evident in my daily actions?

Do I truly hate my sin, or do I hate the consequences of my sin?


For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. - John 6:38 (NASB)

Am I fully committed to executing His will or my will?

Am I growing in my knowledge of God and His will by studying His Word daily?


God’s ultimate goal for us, however, is that we be truly conformed to the likeness of His Son in our person as well as in our standing… Jesus did not die just to save us from the penalty of sin, nor even just to make us holy in our standing before God. He died to purify for Himself a people eager to obey Him, a people eager to be transformed into His likeness… This process of gradually conforming us to the likeness of Christ begins at the very moment of our salvation when the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within us and to actually give us a new life in Christ. We call this gradual process progressive sanctification, or growing in holiness, because it truly is a growth process. - Jerry Bridges, Transforming Grace


Oh! to be like Thee, blessed Redeemer,This is my constant longing and prayer;Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.Oh! to be like Thee, oh! to be like Thee,Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart. - Thomas ChisholmBe Encouraged to make Christlikeness your main pursuit in this life.

-Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2