How will I know if I am growing in the knowledge of God?

So that you will walk in a manner of the Lord [displaying admirable character, moral courage, and personal integrity], to [fully] please Him in all things, bearing fruit in every good work and steadily growing in the knowledge of God [with deeper faith, clearer insight and fervent love for His precepts]; - Colossians 1:10 (Amplified Bible)

As our knowledge of God increases, we will experience spiritual growth that will be evidenced by the following:

A deeper love for God's Word.

Nothing is perfect except your words. Oh, how I love them. I think about them all day long. - Psalm 119:96-97 (Living Bible)

Is my mind so saturated with God's Word that I think about it throughout the day?
Is God's Word my primary source of wisdom to execute this life?

A more perfect obedience.

And how can we be sure that we belong to him? By looking within ourselves: are we really trying to do what he wants us to? Someone may say, "I am a Christian; I am on my way to heaven; I belong to Christ." But if he doesn't do what Christ tells him to, he is a liar. But those who do what Christ tells them to will learn to love God more and more. That is the way to know whether or not you are a Christian. Anyone who says he is a Christian should live as Christ did. - 1 John 2:3-6 (Living Bible)

Is living in obedience to God's Word my primary objective in this life?
If so, is it validated by the amount of time I spend in God's Word each day?

A strong doctrinal foundation.

And so I say to you fathers who know the eternal God, and to you young men who are strong with God's Word in your hearts and have won your struggle against Satan: Stop loving this evil world and all that it offers you, for when you love these things you show that you do not really love God; for all these worldly things, these evil desires—the craze for sex, the ambition to buy everything that appeals to you, and the pride that comes from wealth and importance—these are not from God. They are from this evil world itself. And this world is fading away, and these evil, forbidden things will go with it, but whoever keeps doing the will of God will live forever. - 1 John 2:14-17 (Living Bible)

Has my knowledge of God been evidenced by increasing victory over the attacks of Satan in my life?
What was the most recent attack and my response?

An expanding faith.

I use God's mighty weapons, not those made by men, to knock down the devil's strongholds. These weapons can break down every proud argument against God and every wall that can be built to keep men from finding him. With these weapons, I can capture rebels and bring them back to God and change them into men whose hearts' desire is obedience to Christ. - 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (Living Bible)

Is my faith in the Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Sovereign, Immutable God increasing?
Take a few minutes to write down three evidences of increasing faith in your life.

A greater love for others.

My prayer for you is that you will overflow more and more with love for others and, at the same time, keep on growing in spiritual knowledge and insight, for I want you always to see clearly the difference between right and wrong and to be inwardly clean, no one being able to criticize you from now until our Lord returns. - Philippians 1:9-10 (Living Bible)

Is my love for others increasing?
What is one practical evidence of that love shown in the last week?

A little knowledge OF God is worth more than a great deal of knowledge ABOUT God. - JI Packer

Intimate knowledge of God is possible if we  habitually search His Holy Scriptures and translate what we find into obedience. - George Muller

Progress in the Christian life is exactly equal to the growing knowledge we gain of the Triune God in personal experience. - AW Tozer

Be Encouraged to regularly reflect on the evidences of your growth in the knowledge of God and thank God for His faithfulness.

-Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2