Am I growing in the knowledge of God?

So that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord [displaying admirable character, moral courage, and personal integrity], to [fully] please Him in all things, bearing fruit in every good work and steadily growing in the knowledge of God [with deeper faith, clearer insight and fervent love for His precepts]; - Colossians 1:10 (Amplified Bible)

Therefore, [let me warn you] beloved, knowing these things beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men [who distort doctrine] and fall from your own steadfastness [of mind, knowledge, truth, and faith], but grow [spiritually mature] in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. - 2 Peter 3:17-18a

In this age of increasing deception, false teachers distorting the gospel, and pressures to compromise our faith in the name of tolerance, it is critical that followers of Jesus Christ are increasing in their knowledge of God. Pursuing maturity of faith and a deepening understanding of the Lord Jesus Christ will lead to doctrinal stability and prevent a Christ-follower from being led astray.

Increasing our knowledge of God requires a disciplined daily habit of reading and studying God's Word. To effectively execute the reading of God's Word every day will necessitate a commitment to a certain time daily that is scheduled as an appointment. Remember, however, your adversary Satan will do everything in his power to keep this from happening and provide you with every excuse to cancel that appointment (e g., too tired, too busy, too stressed, need some me time, etc.). Nevertheless, as you discipline yourself to read God's Word every day, you will find that your mind and heart begin to change, and the time that seemed so difficult to find to begin the process becomes a time that you cannot execute your day without. This is the process of renewing your mind and deepening your knowledge of God.

And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you]. - Romans 12:2 (Amplified Bible)

Bible study is the essential ingredient in the believer's spiritual life because it is only in the study of the Bible, as the Holy Spirit blesses that, that Christians hear Christ and discover what it means to follow Him. - James Montgomery Boice

Knowledge of the Bible never comes by intuition. It can only be obtained by diligent, regular, daily, attentive reading. - J.C. Ryle

Until the Bible begins to talk to us, we really have not been reading it. — AW Tozer

Every Christian who does not study, really study, the Bible every day is a fool. - R. A. Torrey

In fact, the Devil is delighted when we spend our time and energy defending the Bible, as long as we do not get around to actually reading the Bible. - R. C. Sproul

The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible. I never saw a useful Christian who was not a student of the Bible. - Dwight L. Moody

If you are ignorant of God's Word, you will always be ignorant of God's will. – Billy Graham

But if anyone keeps looking steadily into God's law for free men, he will not only remember it, but he will do what it says, and God will greatly bless him in everything he does. - James 1:25 (Living Bible)

Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies.
I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.
I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.
I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.
I have not departed from your laws, for you, yourself, have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore, I hate every wrong path. - Psalm 119:97-104 (NIV)

Is the Bible your daily bread or a cake for special occasions?

Be Encouraged to read and study God's Word every day.

-Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2