Am I praying for others?

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy; giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. - Colossians 1:9-12 (ESV)

In this life we will establish relationships with many people. These relationships can range from numerous short term interactions to very close friendships that last a lifetime. As we encounter these people that God has placed into our life, we will be made aware of cares, concerns and needs in their life.

Am I sensitive to opportunities to proactively pray for others as they are presented to me?

Am I a person that others ask to pray for them?

For those few relationships in life that are long term such as immediate family members, close personal friends or those we have the opportunity to mentor in their journey of faith, these verses in Colossians provide us with a pattern of how to pray for them.

As an example, the following is a prayer that I have prayed daily over many years for my family based on these verses.

Heavenly Father, I pray for (speak each persons name).
Watch over them and protect them. Sensitize their heart to the Holy Spirit that they may know and execute Your will and bear fruit in abundance. Prepare them for their spouse. Prepare their spouse for them. May they know You as their personal savior and bear fruit in abundance. Thank you Lord for hearing my prayer and for your many blessings. May You be honored and glorified by all that I say and do in my interactions with them. In Jesus name, Amen.

Have I prepared myself through the consistent study of God's Word and sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's leading to identify those that God has placed into my path to pray for?

“To be prayerless is to be without God, without Christ, without grace, without hope, and without heaven.” - JC Ryle 

Be Encouraged to pray for others consistently.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2