Do I hunger for God's Word?


Like newborn babies [you should] long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may be nurtured and grow in respect to salvation [its ultimate fulfillment], if in fact you have [already] tasted the goodness and gracious kindness of the Lord. - 1 Peter 2:2-3 (Amplified Bible)When faced with a health issue, we become acutely aware of the impact of quality food and exercise on our physical well-being and adjust our diet and activity accordingly to improve our overall health. Similarly, our spiritual well-being is impacted by the spiritual food (God's Word) and exercise (obedience to God’s Word) it receives. Authentic faith is evidenced in our lives as we feed on God's Word daily.Am I feeding on God’s Word daily?

How can I develop a desire for the truth of God's Word?

1. Remember your life's source 

Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. - John 15:5 (NLT)

2. Eliminate sin from your life

I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You. - Psalm 119:11 (NASB)

3. Admit your need for God's truth.

Just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways, and my thoughts are higher than your thoughts. Rain and snow come down from the sky. They do not go back again until they water the earth. They make it sprout and grow so that it produces seeds for farmers and food for people to eat. My word, which comes from my mouth, is like the rain and snow. It will not come back to me without results. It will accomplish whatever I want and achieve whatever I send it to do. - Isaiah 55:9-11 (GW)

4. Pursue spiritual growth

My child, listen to what I say and treasure my commands. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God. - Proverbs 2:1-5 (NLT)

5. Survey your blessings

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. - Lamentations 3:21-26 (ESV)

Thy word, Almighty Lord,
Where'er it enters in,
It is sharper than a two-edged sword,
To slay the man of sin.

Thy word is power and life;
It bids confusion cease,
And changes envy, hatred, strife,
To love, and joy, and peace.

Then let our hearts obey
The gospel's glorious sound;
And all its fruits, from day to day,
Be in us and abound. - James Montgomery

Holiness is the habit of being of one mind with God, according to as we find His mind described in Scripture. It is the habit of agreeing in God's judgment, hating what He hates, loving what He loves, and measuring everything in this world by the standard of His Word. - J.C. Ryle

Be Encouraged to develop an insatiable appetite for God's Word. 

-Jeffrey Thornton 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2