Am I praying continually?

Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. He said, “There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. A widow in that city kept after him: ‘My rights are being violated. Protect me! ’He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on, he said to himself, ‘I care nothing that God thinks, even less what people think. But because this widow won’t quit badgering me, I’d better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise, I’m going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding. ”Then the Master said, “Do you hear what that judge, corrupt as he is, is saying? So what makes you think God won’t step in and work justice for his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won’t he stick up for them? I assure you, he will. He will not drag his feet. But how much of that kind of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when he returns?” - Luke 18:1-8 (Message)

With all prayer and petition, pray [with specific requests] at all times [on every occasion and in every season] in the Spirit, and with this in view, stay alert with all perseverance and petition [interceding in prayer] for all God’s people. - Ephesians 6:18 (Amplified Bible)

While learning to drive, we are taught to stop, look and listen when approaching a railroad crossing to avoid colliding with an oncoming train. This process can also help us in our walk of faith as we seek to execute God's will for our lives. As I stop my own thought process, look into the Word of God for direction, and listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit in prayer, God will mold my heart into alignment with His perfect will for my life. Authentic faith is manifested when my will aligns with God’s will. A consistent prayer life is a critical component of that process.

No human being has ever had a more profound understanding of divine sovereignty than Jesus. No man ever prayed more fiercely or more effectively. Even in Gethsemane, He requested an option a different way. When the request was denied, He bowed to the Father’s will. The very reason we pray is because of God’s sovereignty because we believe that God has it within His power to order things according to His purpose. That is what sovereignty is all about—ordering things according to God’s purpose. So then, does prayer change God’s mind? No. Does prayer change things? Yes, of course. The promise of the Scriptures is that “The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working” (James 5:16). The problem is that we are not all that righteous. What prayer most often changes is the wickedness and the hardness of our own hearts. That alone would be reason enough to pray, even if none of the other reasons were valid or true. - RC Sproul, Does Prayer Change Things?

Be persistent and devoted to prayer, being alert and focused in your prayer life with an attitude of thanksgiving. - Colossians 4:2 (Amplified Bible)

Sweet hour of prayer! Sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father’s throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief,
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare,
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! Sweet hour of prayer!
The joys I feel, the bliss I share,
Of those whose anxious spirits burn
With strong desires for thy return!
With such, I hasten to the place
Where God my Savior shows His face,
And gladly take my station there,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! Sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear.
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer! - William Walford

Our prayer to God may excite in us a suitable sense and consideration of our dependence on God for the mercy we ask and a suitable exercise of faith in God’s sufficiency so that we may be prepared to glorify his name when the mercy is received. - Jonathan Edwards

Be Encouraged to:
Stop your own thought process.
Look into the Word of God.
Listen to the voice of God in persistent prayer.

-Jeffrey Thornton 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2