Am I devoted to God's glory?

Brothers and sisters, God chose you to be his. Think about that! Not many of you were wise in the way the world judges wisdom. Not many of you had great influence, and not many of you came from important families. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise. He chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. And God chose what the world thinks is unimportant—what the world hates and thinks is nothing. He chose these to destroy what the world thinks is important. God did this so that no one could stand before him and boast about anything. It is God who has made you part of Christ Jesus. And Christ has become for us wisdom from God. He is the reason we are right with God and pure enough to be in his presence. Christ is the one who sets us free from sin. So, as the Scriptures say, "Whoever boasts should boast only about the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 1:26-31 (ERV)

The following are the words of God when His chosen people Israel swore their allegiance to God but acted in complete rebellion to God by putting their trust elsewhere.

Hear me, my people: you swear allegiance to the Lord without meaning a word of it when you boast of living in the Holy City and brag about depending on the God of Israel. Yet, for my own sake and the honor of my name, I will hold back my anger and not wipe you out. I refined you in the furnace of affliction but found no silver there. You are worthless, with nothing good in you at all. Yet for my own sake—yes, for my own sake— I will save you from my anger and not destroy you lest the heathen say their gods have conquered me. I will not let them have my glory. - Isaiah 48:1,2,9-11 (Living Bible)

If I have authentic faith, then I am yielded to the lordship of Jesus Christ in my life and understand that God has saved me for His glory and not my own. My natural response with that mindset is to be entirely devoted to God's glory in this life, not my own.

Is it my heart's desire to honor God in all that I say and do?

Am I aligned fully with God's purpose to glorify Himself through my life, or have I been indifferent or even antagonistic?

Be clear, as we have read in Isaiah, God will not tolerate forever those who do not give him glory but instead regard something else as more glorious, more worthy of allegiance. Therefore, to possess authentic faith, one must be fully yielded to God's will and God's glory.

Thus says the Lord, "Let not the one who is wise and skillful boast in his insight; let not the one who is mighty and powerful boast in his strength; let not the one who is rich boast in his [temporal satisfactions and earthly] abundance; but let the one who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me [and acknowledges Me and honors Me as God and recognizes without any doubt], that I am the Lord who practices lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on the earth, for in these things I delight," says the Lord. - Jeremiah 9:23-24 (Amplified Bible)

From the Westminster Shorter Catechism:

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is glorifying God and enjoying him forever.

Q. 2. What rule hath God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him?
A. The Word of God, which is contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is the only rule to direct us on how we may glorify and enjoy him.

Let us be exhorted to exalt God alone and ascribe all the glory of redemption to him. Let us endeavor to obtain, and increase in, a sensibleness of our great dependence, to have our eye on him alone, to mortify a self-dependent and self-righteous disposition. Man is naturally exceeding prone to exalt himself and depend on his own power of goodness, as though he must expect happiness from himself. He is prone to have respect to enjoyments alien from God and his Spirit, as those in which happiness is to be found. But this doctrine should teach us to exalt God alone: as by trust and reliance, so by praise. Let him that glorieth, glory in the Lord. Hath any man hopes that he is converted and sanctified and that his mind is endowed with that true excellency and spiritual beauty? That his sins are forgiven, and he received into God's favor and exalted to the honor and blessedness of being his child and an heir of eternal life? Let him give God all the glory; who alone makes him differ from the worst of men in this world or the most miserable of the damned in hell. Hath any man much comfort and strong hope of eternal life let not his hope lift him up, but to dispose of him the more to abase himself, to reflect on his own exceeding unworthiness of such a favor, and to exalt God alone. Is any man eminent in holiness and abundant in good works? Let him take nothing of its glory to himself, but ascribe it to him whose 'workmanship we are, created in Christ Jesus unto good works. - Jonathan Edwards

To God be the glory, great things He has done!
So loved He the world that He gave us His Son,
Who yielded His life an atonement for sin,
And opened the life-gate that all may go in.

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord,
Let the earth hear His voice!
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
Let the people rejoice!
Oh, come to the Father, through Jesus the Son,
And give Him the glory; great things He hast done. - Fanny Crosby

Be Encouraged to Glorify God and enjoy Him forever!

-Jeffrey Thornton 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2