Am I truly thankful?

Over the last 24 months, we have seen firsthand the devastating impact that the author of confusion and deceit has had on this world. In spite of all the chaos he has created, we are reminded in God's Word that he and his his evil army along with sin, death and hell have all been defeated by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As transformed followers of Jesus Christ, we serve a risen and victorious Savior who has conquered the evil one. On this day that we focus on all that we have to be thankful for and all that God has done for us, rather than focus entirely on what God has done for us, this message focuses our thankfulness for who God is. There is no more eloquent description of God’s attributes than in David's Psalm 139.

God's OmniscienceO Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit or stand. When far away you know my every thought. You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment you know where I am. You know what I am going to say before I even say it. - Psalm 139:1-4 (Living Bible)God's OmnipresenceYou both precede and follow me and place your hand of blessing on my head. This is too glorious, too wonderful to believe! I can never be lost to your Spirit! I can never get away from my God! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the place of the dead, you are there. If I ride the morning winds to the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, your strength will support me. If I try to hide in the darkness, the night becomes light around me. For even darkness cannot hide from God; to you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are both alike to you. - Psalm 139:5-12 (Living Bible)God’s Omnipotence & SovereigntyYou made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit them together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous—and how well I know it. You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion! You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your book! How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly! I can’t even count how many times a day your thoughts turn toward me. And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me! Surely you will slay the wicked, Lord! Away, bloodthirsty men! Begone! They blaspheme your name and stand in arrogance against you—how silly can they be? O Lord, shouldn’t I hate those who hate you? Shouldn’t I be grieved with them? Yes, I hate them, for your enemies are my enemies too. - Psalm 139:13-22 (Living Bible)Verses 23 and 24 culminate this celebration of God’s awesome character with a Christ-follower's prayer as a heartfelt response to the awesomeness of God.Search me, O God, and know my heart;He already knows everything you have ever done and every thought you have yet to think. Release the desire for control of your life and yield full control to Him. He wants your heart.test me and know my anxious thoughts.Tell him what concerns you. Yes, He already knows, but communication is the key to effective relationships. He wants a personal relationship with you.See if there is any offensive way in me,Allow the Holy Spirit to help you see yourself as He sees you. Repent of sin and express a heartfelt desire to eliminate it from your life in His power. He wants your obedience.and lead me in the way everlasting.The Creator of the universe has paid the ultimate sacrifice for your salvation and has a perfect plan for your life that was established before you breathed your first breath. He wants your will to be His will.- Psalm 139:23-24 (NIV)The One who knows you best loves you most.Some thank the Lord for friends and home,For mercies sure and sweet;But I would praise Him for His grace —In prayer I would repeat:Some thank Him for the flowers that grow,Some for the stars that shine;My heart is filled with joy and praiseBecause I know He’s mine.I trust in Him from day to day,I prove His saving grace;I’ll sing this song of praise to HimUntil I see His face.Thank You, Lord, for saving my soul,Thank You, Lord, for making me whole;Thank You, Lord, for giving to meThy great salvation so rich and free. - Seth & Bessie SykesGod saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. - Ephesians 2:8-9 (NLT)Be Encouraged to offer God your heart every day out of an abundance of thanksgiving for all He is and all He has done for you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2