Am I reading the Word of God?

And all the people gathered as one man into the square before the Water Gate. And they told Ezra, the scribe, to bring the Book of the Law of Moses that the Lord had commanded Israel. And he read from it facing the square before the Water Gate from early morning until midday, in the presence of the men and the women and those who could understand. And the ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law. And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people, for he was above all the people, and as he opened it, all the people stood. And Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God, and all the people answered, "Amen, Amen," lifting up their hands. And they bowed their heads and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground. And day by day, from the first day to the last day, he read from the Book of the Law of God. And they stood up in their place and read from the Book of the Law of the Lord their God for a quarter of the day; for another quarter of it they made confession and worshiped the Lord their God. - Nehemiah 8:1,3,5,6,18, 9:3 (ESV)

God is Immutable. He never changes. Stop for a minute and think about that. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. His words are the same yesterday, today, and forever. The Bible contains His words to us. It is the only source of absolute truth in this world. Both Old Testament and New Testament are absolute truth. It is the Christ Follower's guide in seeking to know the one true God, the Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Sovereign Creator of the universe, and to understand His will for your life.

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. - Jeremiah 29:13 (ESV)

Would the time I spent reading God's Word last week/month/year validate that I am seeking God's will all my heart?

Am I approaching God's Word...

Eagerly 
Is the time I have set aside to study God's Word prioritized and anticipated to eliminate "rescheduling"?

Attentively
Do I control my surroundings to eliminate distractions and maximize full attention to His Word and still small voice?

Trustingly
Is my heart open to whatever the Holy Spirit conveys, understanding that it will be for my good and God's glory?

Expectantly
When I read His Word, do I expect God to speak to me, and am I prepared to hear?

Prayerfully
Do I ask God to sensitize my heart to the Holy Spirit in preparation to read His Word?

Patiently
Am I willing to invest the time it takes to understand more difficult concepts, the meat of the Word?

Humbly
Do I understand that the Bible is a gift from God and approach it reverently and in fear of the Lord?

Purposefully
Is my desire to be drawn to God and to understand the truth of His Word?

Joyfully
Do I approach the reading of God's Word with a grateful and thankful heart for His gift?

Repentantly
Do I confess known sin before and during the reading of His Word as the Holy Spirit convicts to allow open communication?

This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. - Joshua 1:8 (ESV)

Holy Ghost, with light divine,
Shine upon this heart of mine;
Chase the shades of night away,
Turn my darkness into day.

Holy Ghost, with power divine,
Cleanse this guilty heart of mine;
Long hath sin without control
Held dominion o'er my soul.

Holy Ghost, with joy divine,
Cheer this saddened heart of mine;
Bid my many woes depart,
Heal my wounded, bleeding heart.

Holy Spirit, all divine,
Dwell within this heart of mine;
Cast down every idol throne,
Reign supreme, and reign alone. - Andrew Reed

Be Encouraged to meditate on the Word of God every day!

-Jeffrey Thornton 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2