Am I executing life with peace and contentment?

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. - Isaiah 26:3 (ESV)

In this life, there will be adversity. Sometimes it is self-inflicted due to sin. In that case get on your knees, ask forgiveness, and change your behavior with the help of the Holy Spirit. Other times it is just a result of executing life in a fallen world. It is important to remember that as a transformed follower of Christ, nothing touches me in this life that is not allowed by the Sovereign God of the universe for my good and His glory. As such, the Christ-follower's response should be to focus on the source of your strength, not the source of your adversity.

You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your book! - Psalm 139:16 (Living Bible)

Is my focus on the source of my adversity or the source of my strength?

Adversity is a bridge to a closer relationship with God. - Charles Stanley

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. - James 1:2-4 (NKJV)

When facing adversity, our first response tends to be the question "Why?"... Why me?...Why this?... Why now?. Understanding that nothing touches me that is not allowed by God helps us to respond with "What" rather than "Why". What is God trying to teach me?... What do I need to change?.

Adversity is not about "being fair" which triggers the "Why" question, it's all about "building faith" which triggers the "What" question.

As he journeyed, he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?" And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads." So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?" - Acts 9:3-6

When responding to adversity, be Encouraged to follow the example of Paul and respond with "Lord, What do you want me to do?"

Be Encouraged to focus on the source of your strength when adversity enters your life!

-Jeffrey Thornton 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2