What is my acceptable sacrifice to God?

My [only] sacrifice [acceptable] to God is a broken spirit; A broken and contrite heart [broken with sorrow for sin, thoroughly penitent], such, O God, You will not despise. - Psalm 51:17 (Amplified Bible)

In the greatest sermon ever given, the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus begins with the Beatitudes, His description of the character of true faith. His first words are "Blessed are the poor in spirit", which refer to the deep humility of recognizing one's spiritual bankruptcy apart from God.

When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and when He was seated, His disciples came to Him. Then He began to teach them, saying, "Blessed [spiritually prosperous, happy, to be admired] are the poor in spirit [those devoid of spiritual arrogance, those who regard themselves as insignificant], for theirs is the kingdom of heaven [both now and forever]. "Blessed [forgiven, refreshed by God's grace] are those who mourn [over their sins and repent], for they will be comforted [when the burden of sin is lifted]. - Matthew 5:1-4 (Amplified Bible)

In stark contrast to being poor in spirit, the wisdom of this world is all about self-improvement, self-realization, self-sufficiency, self-fulfillment, etc. In other words, if I can continue filling myself with more of my "gooder" self, I will eventually be my "goodest" self, earn God's favor, and live my best life now. The theology of that sentence should make the Christ-follower cringe just as much as the grammar does. Our righteousness, or good works, apart from justification, are viewed by God as filthy rags. So if my only form of payment in my unregenerate, sinful state is filthy rags, how will continuing to make a larger and larger pile of filthy rags ever satisfy a righteous and holy God?

Jesus is saying that you, in and of yourself, are spiritually bankrupt. The only payment sufficient to satisfy your spiritual debt is a perfect sacrifice, the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus on the cross of Calvary, which cannot be earned by being good, gooder or goodest in this life (i.e., by adding more filthy rags to the pile). The only acceptable sacrifice to God is a broken and contrite heart, emptying self of self so that there is room for God to take His rightful place in our lives.

He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less. He has come from heaven and is greater than anyone else. I am of the earth, and my understanding is limited to the things of earth. - John 3:30-31 (Living Bible)

What do I need to remove from my life today to allow Christ to regain His rightful place?

Be Encouraged to empty self of self and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

-Jeffrey Thornton 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2