Am I drifting?

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. Since the message declared by angels proved reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard, while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will. - Hebrews 2:1-4 (ESV)

Both closer attention and drift away have nautical connotations. The first refers to mooring a ship, tying it up at the dock. The second was often used of a ship that had been allowed to drift past the harbor. The warning is to secure oneself to the truth of the Gospel, being careful not to pass by the only harbor of salvation and absolute truth. Must pay the closest attention to these very serious matters of the Christian faith. In their tendency to apathy, the readers are in danger of making a shipwreck of their lives.

Is my quiet time with God each day protected and purposeful?

Am I meeting with God when convenient to "check a box," or am I diligently seeking to know God?

Do I confess my sin without repentance?

Yes, Lord, I agree that my sin is wrong, and please forgive me; however, I have no intention of changing my behavior to eliminate it from my life with the Holy Spirit's help.

Do I compromise Biblical truths in the name of tolerance or for any other reason?

Most people are not hostile to the Gospel, they are indifferent, and therein lies their damnation. - John MacArthur

It is either all of Christ or none of Christ! I believe we need to preach about whole Christ again to the world – a Christ who does not need our apologies, a Christ who will not be divided, a Christ who will either be Lord of all or will not be Lord at all! - A.W. Tozier

Be Encouraged to make Christ Lord of ALL!

-Jeff Thornton



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is my hope in the Lord?

Is God's peace guarding my heart?

Am I praising God? - Part2